Immediately available for download, Mandrake Linux 8.1 broadens the MandrakeSoft services offering 2001-09-27
MandrakeSoft today announced the immediate availability of Mandrake Linux 8.1 for download from http://www.linux-mandrake.com. With this new version, MandrakeSoft widens its range of services and confirms its commitment to offer the most complete, user-friendly and server-adapted Linux operating system available.
"This new version includes MandrakeOnline, MandrakeSoft's new online service and increases our range of offerings", stated Frederic Bastok, co-founder & CTO of MandrakeSoft. "Our user-friendly and powerful solution comprises over 2,500 applications including StarOffice the complete office suite compatible with MS Office. Moreover Mandrake Linux 8.1 is specifically designed to suit the server market".
Full services included
MandrakeOnline, MandrakeSoft's new online service offers many possibilities:
- Alerts on security or package updates according to hardware and software configuration
- Email alias "email@example.com"
- Special rebates for MandrakeExpert, MandrakeSoft's online support platform www.mandrakeexpert.com
The best graphical interfaces
MandrakeSoft continues to build on its promise of offering an easy-to-use and fully graphical Linux operating system for both the novice and professional user with the latest leading Open Source environments.
The 8.1 version contains the best possible graphical interfaces available in their latest version, including:
- KDE 2.2.1, the user-friendly environment with the most integrated and easy-to-use features:
- Kmail: The integrated and powerful KDE mail client now includes support for IMAP servers and many ergonomic enhancements
- KOffice 1.1: The complete and light-weight KDE office suite has undergone major changes since version 1.0 (complete rewrite of Kword, inclusion of a new chart application called KVivio, improvement of MS Office filters,...)
- GNOME 1.4.1, the most powerful user environment with many enhancements such as:
- Nautilus 1.0.4: The new GNOME file browser features major speed improvements and many ergonomic enhancements based on user's feedback
- Mozilla 0.9.4: The integrated Web Browser and communication suite now has dramatic speed improvements and better usability
MandrakeSoft's user-friendly specific tools
- Mandrake Control Centre, the one-stop location to set-up and administer entire machines with :
- LogDrake: An easy tool to monitor computer activity (through logs)
- Embedded root console available for maintenance purposes
- MandrakeFirstTime: An easy-to-use wizard that helps to set-up desktop environment (KDE, GNOME, ...), choose a theme and configure email settings
Complete and powerful server solutions
- Enterprise Kernel 2.4.8: This special edition of the Kernel comes with native support for HI Memory (>1024 MB) and SMP (Symetric Multi Processing)
- Full support for Journalised FileSystems: XFS, Ext3, ReiserFS and JFS come in standard ensuring files integrity
- Special version of Samba: Combined with XFS and latest kernel, Samba 2.2.1a allows Windows® file sharing with the same fine-grained permissions as Windows® NT.
- A full-featured groupware suite accessible anywhere from a simple web browser with secure connection
Easy-to-use installation and system management utilities
- Server configuration wizards for a faster and more convenient use (Web Mail, Firewall, File & Printer sharing, ...)
- Mandrake Server CD: A complete server orientated distribution featuring the best Open Source server software combined with Mandrake Linux easy-to-use DrakX installer
- Web Administration with Webmin: allows easy configuration DNS, Samba, NFS, local/remote file systems and more from any computer with a secure browser connection
- URPMI and APT: Automated software management systems URPMI and APT provide a hassle-free way to install and upgrade applications
- Auto-Install tool: Servers and workstations are duplicated effortlessly with the new "auto install" feature
Immediate preorders on MandrakeStore
Users can from now on pre-order Mandrake Linux 8.1 PowerPack and ProSuite Editions on http://www.mandrakestore.com and receive immediately for free 2 CDs, plus the PowerPack / ProSuite at the end of October.
Different packages of Mandrake Linux 8.1 soon available
Continuing its strong retail presence and relationship with The Pearson Technology Group, Mandrake Linux 8.1 will be available at the end of October at leading software retailers in three distinct packages:
- Mandrake Linux Standard Edition:
The key to Linux. It includes 3 CDs plus detailed Installation Guide. Both beginners and experienced users will appreciate the easy-to-use graphical installer which features automated hardware detection.
- Mandrake Linux PowerPack Edition:
All the power of Linux. It includes 7 CDs packed with thousands of the latest Linux applications, a comprehensive Installation & User Guide, plus a detailed Reference Manual. Based on the award winning Mandrake Linux operating system, the PowerPack includes the best Open Source and commercial applications currently available for Linux. With easy-to-use wizards and customized configuration tools, PowerPack 8.1 is ideally suited for setting-up quickly and easily a full-featured workstation.
- Mandrake Linux ProSuite Edition:
The Linux server solution. It includes 9 CDs (with a special Mandrake Server CD) + 1 DVD packed with thousands of the latest Linux applications and server configuration wizards. Designed for small and medium businesses, Mandrake Linux ProSuite Edition 8.1 has been specifically customized to include all the necessary tools to rapidly and easily build a Linux Server Solution. ProSuite Edition 8.1 will scale easily for large enterprise deployments.
Mandrake Linux 8.1 OEM Edition and Masters CD (to make their pre-installation easier) will also be available for desktops & servers at leading wholesalers. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information: http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/81