Altadena, CA - March 18, 2002 - MandrakeSoft, the premier publisher of the popular award-winning Linux-Mandrake operating system, today announced Mandrake Linux 8.2. . . .
New server features include the ability to use an encrypted file system for protecting sensitive data; "kernel-secure" adds important security features to the default Linux kernel; and an "Enterprise" kernel delivers SMP (Symmetric Multi Processing) and Hi-memory support (above 1024 MB) for high-end servers. Mandrake Linux 8.2 also introduces a quick and efficient way to set up printers and scanners; a new file sharing feature for easily sharing files and directories in a networked environment; and improved "hot-plug" support that allows users to install new devices quickly and painlessly without having to reboot the system. A new remote desktop utility, RFBdrake, is extremely useful for controlling machines remotely within a LAN or securely through the Internet.
New desktop features include a completely redesigned Mandrake Control Center that serves as a central location for Mandrake-specific tools and utilities, as well as many new configuration wizards. Desktop users will appreciate the task-oriented menus in GNOME and KDE, which greatly simplify locating applications by categorizing them into common "tasks".
MandrakeFirstTime is an easy-to-use wizard that helps setup a desktop environment (KDE, GNOME, etc.), choose a theme and configure email settings. DrakNet, the Internet connection and network utility, efficiently helps users configure all types of network connections, from common dial-up modems to DSL and cable connections.
The reworked version of MSEC, a utility for configuring the security level of a machine (Standard, High, Highest, Paranoid), is more powerful than ever. Also included are the latest stable versions of KDE and GNOME which both offer some great new features and applications such as anti-aliased fonts and Evolution (an Outlook-like email client and personal information manager). StarOffice 6.0 is included with the ProSuite and PowerPack Editions.
"With version 8.2, Mandrake Linux proves that it is the ultimate Linux experience. This new release is the result of our four-year commitment to providing the best operating system ever. Mandrake Linux has long been the preferred Linux distribution for individuals, but Mandrake 8.2 marks a new step in our penetration of the corporate environment. The features and unparalleled ease of use make 8.2 an incredibly efficient and affordable alternative to UNIX and Windows 2000" said Jacques Le Marois, CEO of MandrakeSoft.
Core System Components
· Kernel 2.4.18
· Improved Firewire support
· Support for USB2, ECC memory, i830 DRM, ATA133, Geforce3
· XFree86 4.2 provides 3D acceleration for many video cards previously only supported in 3.3.6
· Glibc 2.2.4
Software and Applications
· Apache 1.3.23
· PHP 4.1.2
· MySQL 3.23.47
· PostgreSQL 7.2
· Sendmail 8.12.1
· Postfix 20010228
· Staroffice 6.0 is the latest version of the famous Office Suite that boasts integrated creativity and productivity tools, improved interoperability with Microsoft Office files, support for XML file formats, and improved international support.
· Evolution 1.02 is a full-featured personal information manager and advanced E-mail client. Evolution provides the best features in its class.
· KDE 2.2.2 and GNOME 1.4.1 -- Enjoy the latest versions of these popular desktop environments. KDE 2.2.2 includes a new print system, which has been integrated with PrinterDrake; GNOME 1.4.1 includes Evolution to closely match the features and look of MS-Outlook.
Mandrake Linux 8.2 is currently available for x86 processors, and will soon also be available for the PPC platform.
To find out more about Mandrake Linux 8.2, please visit
Pre-orders are now being accepted for the Mandrake Linux 8.2 ProSuite and PowerPack Editions at http://www.MandrakeStore.com
Or download your copy today at http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3
Mandrake Club members are entitled to download proprietary drivers and commercial software for 8.2
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/club/ . . .