MandrakeSoft released its Linux Corporate Server 2.1 edition earlier today. According to the release announcement, the new Corporate Server offers all the tools needed to create a full-featured enterprise network, complete with the latest up-to-date software and security updates.
MandrakeSoft also produces and distributes Mandrake Linux 9.0, which comes in three-CD Standard ($30), seven-CD PowerPack ($69), and eight-CD plus one workstation DVD ProSuite ($199) editions. Mandrake 9.1 is in the beta development stage currently.
The Mandrake Linux PowerPack and Standard editions are designed for individual users, and the ProSuite Edition is created for small and medium-sized enterprises. The release announcement states that Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 2.1 is a comprehensive and versatile Linux solution that provides large accounts with critical business server functions . . . The Corporate Server includes MandrakeClustering tools.
You can purchase Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 2.1 from the Mandrake on-line store. It's sold on a subscription basis, which includes support and software updates. For $749 you get a half-year Standard option that includes five support incidents. The Unlimited edition of Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 2.1 is $1499 and gets you unlimited support for one year.
According to the Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 2.1 Web page, Corporate Server 2.1 is based upon the 2.4 Linux kernel and features:
- Easy to install with intuitive graphical interface
- Configure services with easy to use wizards
- Administer with any secure web browser
- Linux kernel 2.4
- Choice of several journalized file systems
- DHCP Server
- Apache Web Server -- pre-configured with PHP (scripting language) and MySQL (database) for dynamic, easy to maintain websites
- Postfix Email Server -- a secure replacement for Sendmail
- ProFTP FTP Server
- Squid Proxy Server
- Samba File and Print Server -- share resources with networked computers running Microsoft operating systems
- LDAP mail directory -- contacts directory server
- Firewall and router -- security and Internet sharing
- POP3, IMAP and Webmail Email -- a reliable and robust corporate messaging system
MozillaQuest Magazine has not reviewed Mandrake Linux Corporate Server. We have, however, reviewed Mandrake Linux 9.0. For links and more information about Mandrake Linux 9.0, please see our article Mandrake Linux 9.0, Desktop Magic You Can Use: A First Look.
Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 2.1
Corporate Support Options for the United States
Corporate Server Support Scope: Europe
Announcement MandrakeSoft extends its enterprise offerings with the release of Mandrake Corporate Server 2.1
Related MozillaQuest Articles
Mandrake Linux 9.0, Desktop Magic You Can Use: A First Look
Mandrake 9.0 is LSB Certified -- Mandrake Linux 9.0 Released for Downloading
Linux for Windows Users #6: Using LinNeighborhood to Create a Network Neighborhood for Linux
Tabbed-Browsing Comes to KDE
Linux Makes a Great Gift
KDE 3.1 Released: Binaries and Source Code Available for Downloading
SCO-Caldera & the GNU/Linux Community:
The SCOsource IP Matter
Is Netscape Losing the Browser Wars?
Free Software for Your New Christmas Computer -- Or Any Computer for That Matter